Thursday, April 4, 2013

Culture shock.

I realized today how easily I have fallen back into old routine here in Hanoi. Crossing the street with motorcycles zooming past me has caused no trouble, my stomach has coped fine with street food, and the heat is very bearable. My mom asked me the other day if I was experiencing any culture shock. For a minute I was confused; why would I experience culture shock? I was back home, there was nothing new of different here. After a while I realized though, there are so many differences between Hanoi and Cardiff, I just don't realize it. Hanoi and everything that comes with it is ingrained in my brain, so when I arrived back here, I automatically switched back to "Hanoi mode" effortlessly. Culture shock is quite foreign to me, which might be surprising to some. Moving from one culture to the next, and traveling all the time, means I always switch from one culture to the next. After a while, I become immune to it, and have no real trouble with adjusting to a new culture. I think this is a characteristic of a TCK; immunity to culture shock.

If I were to experience culture shock every time I was in a new culture, I would most likely always have culture shock, non-stop. Whether it is moving to a new country, or going on a trip, I switch cultures often. And the differences between these cultures are often vast. Take this Easter break for example. I came from Cardiff. The weather there is cold, the food is hearty, the people warm and easy to communicate with, and in general a very peaceful and quite environment. From there I came to Hanoi. The weather here is hot and humid, the food spicy, the people hard to communicate with but friendly, and in general a very hectic environment. For people that do not travel a lot, these differences would have been plenty to experience culture shock for several days. Seeing as I'm staying here for less then 3 weeks, I would most likely only have a couple of days of normality, the rest would be occupied with culture shock. So what I'm saying is, is that the reason TCK's don't generally suffer from culture shock is because we don't have the time for it!

2 comments:

  1. Growing up in Bangkok from 5yrs old to 11 yrs old, I can relate to you a lot. We have been all over. I have a feeling Im much older than you, but I appreciate your blog and find it amazing that you can express everything I have ever felt and put it to words. Ive read a lot of your posts. Just acknowledging all your feelings at every step of your journey will bring you so many blessings of adaptability and a plethora of knowledge and desire. By traveling at a young age, I have always had the travel bug. Being in a situation you have no control over (like moving as a child) is an interesting thing because you are forced to expand. By the time you are an adult it becomes different and now you have more control over your own change. I wouldn't have changed anything about my upbringing even though it was difficult. As an adult I tend to want a lot of good change in my life because that is how I was programmed. It is such a blessing. I wish you the best in all your adventures. You have a wonderful outlook and opinion on gaining new experiences and exploring cultures and I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! It means a lot to know that I am able to put into words what you felt as a TCK, it is what I wanted to do through this blog. All the best :)

      Delete