Friday, April 19, 2013

Uncertainty.

Being a expat always has a element of uncertainty to it. Growing up as a TCK, I experienced this uncertainty and how it affects us. I'm writing this post because my family is currently going through some major uncertainty regarding their expat life. As you may recall, I wrote a blog post about my family moving to Bangkok. They were really happy about it, until the plans fell through a few days ago. There were problems with living in Thailand, and all of a sudden, they don't know where they're going to be living in a few months time. If you are a fellow expat, I'm sure you can relate. Whether it is uncertainty regarding where your children will go to school next year or if you can get the correct living permit for your new destination, none of it is pleasant. Just think, it's all preparation for living in a new place, a new adventure. The uncertainty will be worth it in the long run. 

Personally, I have experienced a fair bit of uncertainty as a TCK. Most prominently, the uncertainty of how long I will be a TCK. Originally, my father's contract was to work for three years in China and then to move back to the Netherlands. That was more then 10 years ago, and here I am, still living a expat life. Then there are the uncertainties a TCK experiences with every new move. Will I find friends at my new school? Will I get into the school soccer team? Will I keep in touch with my old friends? Will my new home city be just as exciting as my current one? Getting closer to the move means more and more uncertainties popping up in your mind. Personally I believe that some uncertainty about a new place is good, as it means you plan carefully and are determined to make this new place your home. You should however not let your uncertainties take control, because this can lead to overlooking the little things, like saying goodbye to the place you are leaving. My advice? Don't let the future overshadow the present. I think that growing up as a TCK has made me live more in the present rather then always plan for the future, because the future can change so suddenly when you are a expat.

No comments:

Post a Comment