Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sounds familiar.

For two days now, I have constantly heard a familiar sound. The screeching of packing tape. I refer to it as screeching for a reason. I have been sitting in the living room of our now old apartment "supervising" the move with 6 men packing our things, using a extensive amount of packing tape. Constantly things are being wrapped, bound, and stuck together with it. It fair to say that after two days of this, it has become a screech. I have a headache and I can't concentrate on my work because of the sound!

This sound is all too familiar though. Moving from the Netherlands to Shanghai, moving within Shanghai, moving to Beijing, moving to Hanoi, moving within Hanoi, and now moving within Hanoi again. Everything is put into boxes, wrapped in bubble wrap, and shipped to yet another place. The process is always very similar. They come one day with a truck full of folded up boxes, bubble wrap, packing paper, and tonnes of packing paper. Then, with Stanley knifes in hand, they get to work. You always have to be there to supervise, so that they can show you the chips on your plates to make sure you don't sue them for damages. The amount of time it takes to pack all your belongings is unthinkably fast. In less then two days, you life is completely packed up and shipped to a new place. 

Currently we are on the second day of the move to a new apartment. Everyone else in my family is at work or school, so I have been sent to sit in the living room and be submitted to the endless screeching of this dreadful tape. I do find it fascinating though, how only yesterday morning we were still eating breakfast in a fully furnished apartment, and now there are only a few boxes left in the whole place. Fascinating, a a little bit scary. Should it be so easy to remove your life? I will ponder over this question for a little longer, but first, I'm going to find a Advil for my headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment