Sunday, March 24, 2013

Travelling.


It’s finally Easter break, the time where I get to go home for 3 weeks. I haven’t been home since the Summer break, so it will be so nice to be going back to an environment that I already know. Now, in order for me to get home, I need to travel. A lot. To me, that seems pretty normal, because it has always been that way. Whether we were going back to the Netherlands or on vacation, it was always a minimum of 10 hour journey. This time, my journey included a 4 modes of transport (taxi, train, underground, plane), 14 hours of flying time, travelling across 7 times zones, and taking up most of my weekend. While it still is a long journey to me, it is not as hard as it might be for some others. I have grown accustom to the procedures of travelling, it has become routine to me. I know the best snacks for on the plane, the most comfortable sleeping positions (if those even exist?) in the airplane. I know how to navigate around an airport swiftly, how to make sure you catch that connecting flight on time. You might think that these things are irrelevant, but they really aren’t. They cause less stress, more certainty of your journey, and make it easier over all. Yes, the journey is still not pleasant, but it’s bearable. 

When I tell my friends about my journey home, some of them are in awe. All they have to do is sit on a train for an hour and they get the same result as me. Yes, that makes me jealous, the ease of it all for them. The simplicity of being able to go home. It is all worth it to me though, the travelling. I might be jet lagged, worn out, stiff from the plane ride, but guess what, I get to go home! When I step into the arrivals hall my family will be there to greet me, after not having seen them for 3 months. Plus, did I mention, it’s 30 degrees in Vietnam? A break for the depressing weather is worth quite a bit, even a long journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment