Friday, April 26, 2013

Homey.

Recently my friend told me that she thought my room looked so homey, and that she wished she could have done the same with her room. I looked at my room and realized it looked like what all my rooms have looked like. Lots of pictures on the wall and memorabilia from countless countries scattered around the room. Having had lots of bedrooms over the years, I've learned how to make a room look homey fast. Your room should be somewhere you feel safe, and even if you know you'll only stay there for a year or two, you should decorate it as if you're staying a little longer than that. I think most TCK's can agree that you don't always feel home is certain countries, but your room is like your safe haven.

The room I am in now is student accomodation, and when I moved in, I knew I would only stay here for a year. And yet, I made sure I love my room. I have a red latern that I bought in Hoi An to remind me of where my family is. On my doorknob hang two plush Chinese fish to always remind me of my childhood on my way out the door. I have a string of small Buddhist prayer flags as well as a wooden Buddha to keep me safe here in my new home, as they have always done. I have a poster of Ganesha to remind me of my vacation to India, and how beautiful it was. On my bookshelf stands a little replica of the Golden Rock in Myanmar and next to that a small lacquer ware offering vessel to remind me of the beauty of Asia. I could go on listing the little items I have to remind me of my TCK childhood that are spread around my room. Every time I look up from my work I'll see something and it'll bring back a memory, putting a smile on my face.


The pictures that cover my walls is like a timeline of my life. Different friends from different countries, holiday photographs, and a bunch of family pictures. They remind me that I'm not alone, that I have friends and family out there. As a TCK, it's hard to remind yourself that although you might not have your family right next door, that doesn't mean they're not there for you. When I'm in a bad place, the pictures remind me of them and that, even though they are thousands of kilometers away, I have family and friends that care about me. My homey room is a constant reminder of the different life that I lead, and how appreciative I have to be off it.

No comments:

Post a Comment