Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Where are you from?

The question every TCK dreads: "Where are you from?". It's not that we don't like the answer to that question, it's just that for most, the answer is long and complicated. The answer starts of simple: "I'm Dutch". My accent throws them off though, and they'll ask more questions: "Why do you have an American accent?", "Are your parents American?", "Have you always lived in the UK?". At this point I ready myself for a long story, because the answers to those questions involve multiple countries, schools, 'homes', and experiences.

I have to say, I enjoy watching how people react when I tell them about being a TCK. Everything is normal until I tell them I lived in China for almost 8 years, upon which people will usually do a double take and respond with: "CHINA? Why China?". I tell them about my Dad's work, about how I picked up a American accent in International Schools, about how I speak Chinese, about how my parents still live in Vietnam so I don't get to see them very often. All of a sudden, the simple questions of "Where are you from?" turns into a complicated, personal tale of my life. Don't get me wrong; I don't mind answering the question. I understand that people find my life intriguing, and I know that for most, they don't often meet a TCK. It is just that on some occasions, I wish the answer were easier. For example, on a night out, I would rather have fun and dance with my friends then tell a stranger a 10-minute story about where I have lived. So in those situations, I do sometimes opt for: "Yes, I am American". That answer fits with my accent and people will accept it and walk away. I'm not happy to lie, but sometimes I prefer at 10-second conversations opposed to a 10-minute one!


2 comments:

  1. I understand what you are saying. :) My daughter, on returning to the UK from Muscat Oman, had more of an American accent. International schools. People used to ask her these questions. We have lived in various countries, and are now in Indonesia, with said daughter. She doesn't feel anywhere is home. Perhaps Muscat? as we were there the longest, for her to feel settled. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know I'm not the only one :) I can relate to her struggle of 'home', I have no clue where home is! I guess that's what comes with being a TCK :)

      Delete