Sunday, May 19, 2013

When in Rome, do as the Romans do, Pt 1.

Being a TCK, I have had to adapt to many different places. My parents always believed that when you move to a new place, you have to become part of that culture. So, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I'm starting a mini series on this topic, talking about how I tried to integrate into the different cultures that I lived in. There will be four parts: Shanghai, Beijing, Vietnam, and the United Kingdom. This is part 1, so I'm going to be talking about adapting to living in Shanghai.

My move from the Netherlands to Shanghai was probably the most shocking move, as the two cultures were so different. I was 7 at the time, and being an expat in China was not as common as it is nowadays. I had blonde hair and blue eyes, so I was an attraction to most locals. I'm not going to lie; I hated my first few months in Shanghai. I was still learning how to speak English, I was suffering from severe culture shock, and I felt very out of place. My mom was having a tough time adjusting as well, but she decided that we would explore the neighbourhood and the culture, so we would feel more at home. Besides visiting the obvious tourist attractions, our weekends were spent exploring Shanghai's more hidden spots. Like many of the locals, we got to places by bike as much as we could. My parents tended to do groceries at the non-expat supermarkets. We would make sure eat Chinese food at least 3 times a week. These are all little things, but they go a long way. Step by step, I started to feel more at home in Shanghai, and while I still looked like the odd one out, I started to feel more and more like a local.

A big part of integrating into a culture is, I believe, the language. Language is tied into so many aspects of a culture, I would advice you try and pick it up. After 2 months of only learning English at school, my parents decided to also have me learn Chinese. I was learning English and Chinese simultaneously, and while it was hard, it was definitely worth it. Still being young I picked up the language fast, and after a few months, I was able to hold simple conversation. This helped me out a lot, because the locals take you more seriously when you speak their language. It shows a level of commitment to the place and the culture, and this is respected.

I ended up living in Shanghai for a little more than 5 years, and over those years, I truly felt like I was part of the culture. Some of the things I mentioned in this point might be very specific, but the main idea I want you to take away is to try your utmost best to integrate into the culture. You can do this through language, food, mode of transportation, however you feel comfortable. The worst thing you can do is shut yourself out, because that means not allowing your new living place to become your home.

Come back in a few days for part 2: Beijing!

No comments:

Post a Comment