Thursday, June 6, 2013

When in Rome, do as the Romans do, Pt 4.

It is time for the final part of my series; "When in Rome, do as the Romans do”, and this post will be about where I live now, in the United Kingdom (more specifically, in Wales). I have lived here for less than a year, so I am still in the process of becoming part of the culture, but I think that I have integrated enough to write a post about it. I had to become Welsh fast, as I was thrown right into the community. Moving alone to go to University is very different then moving with your family to a new country. Beside the hard aspect of being by myself, I was also in no way a part of an expat community. I was just a normal University student, along with the thousands of new freshman. While this new normalcy was refreshing, it was also slightly daunting.

My key connection with the local culture was my friends. I did make some international friends, but my closest friends are all from around here. While they do make fun of my accent and misunderstanding of certain local customs, they are a great group of friends. Through them, I have come to understand more aspects of the culture I am currently living in. This happens through simple things, such as teaching me slang and correcting certain expressions. For example, to me, chips are crispy potato chips, but here they refer to those as crisps. What I call fries is what they call chips. This might seem silly, but when I first arrived, people would look at me weird when I ordered fries at a restaurant, and I would automatically be seen as someone not from around here. Little things like this build up to develop us into someone who fits into a new culture.

Personally, I love spending the day outside in the fresh air. So when I saw that my University has a hiking club, I automatically joined. I now go for hikes around Wales whenever I can, and I love it. I have met some great like-minded people through the club, seen the amazing scenery of Wales, and most importantly, felt more at home in Wales. I believe that when you explore a country, you come to understand what a culture is based on, where customs and habits originate from. Our hikes usually pass through small villages, and if we feel up for it, we will go to the local pub for a drink. The pubs are always filled with locals, always up for a chat. Elderly men that will gladly tell you the story of their lives, about what it was like to grow up on a small town farm. I have some amazing memories from these hikes, and hope to gain more over the years, and they are a big part of why I feel like I am becoming part of the Welsh culture. This is because I took initiative to learn about the place and it's culture.

While I am not at a point yet where I feel like a local, I am getting there. What I have learnt by moving to Wales is that in order to become part of a culture, you need to want to understand it. Take part in activities that will bring you closer to the culture. Also, let people teach you about their culture. Let them correct your accent, your way of saying things, because it will make you understand the culture more. The phrase really is true: "When in Rome, do as the Romans do", because when you act as a local, with work, you will come closer to being one. Embrace your new culture, because who knows how long you will stay a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment