Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A new move.

Today I got a text from my mom, going something like this: "Bangkok it is!!!". A very similar text followed from my dad. Have you guessed it? Yup, my family is moving to Bangkok. After three years of Hanoi, it is time to move once again. Only this time, I am not moving with them, I'll be on the side lines. This is the first move that I will not be a part of, and there is something a little bit sad about it. While moves are never easy, they somehow bring a family closer together. You miss friends together, are nervous about a new place together, and are excited for new experiences together. They will be moving to a place which I will have no real connection with. I won't go to school there, or have a job there, it will now just be the place my family lives.

Would it be strange to say that I am a bit jealous? Not because of the place they are moving to (although I certainly wouldn't complain about Bangkok, it has been one of my favorite places for a long time!), but because they are moving without me. At the moment, when I Skype my mom, I can relate to the people she talks about, the places she went to in the weekend, because I lived in Hanoi myself for 2 years. Next year, this will all be different. Although I will visit them in their new home, it won't exactly be my "home", as I have no connections to the place (at least, that's what I say now. If you read my post on "home", we all know that soon I will probably be calling Bangkok "home"!)

I suppose this is the way our family in Holland always felt. Numerous times we moved, and when we talked about our "home", they were not able to truly relate. I never realized how hard it must have been for them, time after time again when we moved. Now I am in that same place, and boy, I have a feeling I am going to have a hard time with this move! Of course, I wish my parents and brother the best in Bangkok, and hope they have a smooth move. However, I am not going to lie and say that a part of me wishes I was 15 again, and going through another move with them! However with every move comes heartbreak and tears about leaving friends and loved places behind. This is the part I won't miss, but dismissing it would be dismissing reality. I know that it will be a rough time for my family, particular my brother, and it will be my job to be there to support them. I will try my best at this, and hopefully succeed, because I have enough experience to do so!


No comments:

Post a Comment